The Black Economic Alliance—and its affiliated entities the BEA Foundation, BEA PAC, and BEA Fund (collectively “BEA”)—is a nonpartisan coalition of Black business leaders and allies committed to driving economic progress for the Black community through public policy, advocacy, engagement with government and business leaders, and philanthropic and investment programs. Led by a Board that includes executives from a range of industries including media, finance, pharmaceutical, nonprofit, and tech, BEA uses its collective power and business acumen to advance public policies and private sector practices that will improve work, wages, and wealth for Black Americans.
Reporting to the BEA Executive Director, with a dotted line to the BEA Foundation President, the Head of Communications will be responsible for leading the development and implementation of BEA’s communications strategy to advance the organization’s agenda. The Head of Communications will grow the profile and impact of BEA on improving work, wages, and wealth for Black Americans, and will help BEA elevate the national discussion about the importance of closing the Black-White wealth gap to the overall success of the U.S. economy. The Director will prepare, manage, and distribute all communications material for all four BEA entities—BEA, BEA Foundation, BEA PAC, and BEA Fund. The Director will be a hub of information and will be responsible for keeping BEA’s internal and external stakeholders appropriately informed about BEA activity.
- Develop content for BEA’s print, audio, video, and digital platforms including social media and three websites.
- Draft talking points, speeches, op-eds, press releases, newsletters, etc.
- Proactively pitch media and field incoming press inquiries.
- Prepare the Executive Director, Foundation President, Board Co-Chairs, and other BEA ambassadors for speaking engagements, including staffing them for press events.
- Track and measure the effectiveness of BEA’s messaging strategy over time.
- Manage external communications firm.
- Lead communications planning for BEA events.
- Must embrace the mission of the Black Economic Alliance.
- Four-year degree from an accredited college or university.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Extremely strong written and verbal communication skills. Impeccable copy-editing ability.
- At least ten years of prior communications experience.
- Must be a self-starter.
- Must be a creative and strategic thinker with good judgment and ability to make independent decisions in a changing environment.
- Consummate team player with a great attitude who is happy to assist with all projects.
- Strong discretion and integrity handling confidential information.
- Must move projects to timely completion working with multiple busy executives with competing priorities.
- Excellent organization and time-management skills, including ability to multi-task, continually re-prioritize, and self-manage deadlines.
- Experience in public policy, political engagement, and/or corporate and private foundations preferred.
- Established media relationships preferred.
Competitive/commensurate with experience and qualifications.
This is a full-time position. The Head of Communications can be located anywhere on the East Coast.Apply Today